--The hub got back on Sunday afternoon and then we both had regular work weeks. He finally had a 3 day and was wonderful enough to do some housework on Friday while I was at work. It's been fabulous to have two whole days to spend together, so we've been keeping it pretty low key---running errands, making dinner, enjoying the small moments with the dogs, etc.
--Work continues well. All of us new staff are now settled and I've taken on a regular load at this point. I'm loving my office organization and decorating I did last weekend, as it makes for a comfortable work environment. I had a high moment on Wednesday when a retiree came in and told me that the resume I'd helped him with landed him all three of the interviews that he'd wanted!! Little things like that make me really appreciate the opportunity to work in a job that allows me to help people.
--I'm in the habit of running every day right after work and it's been great for processing the work day and relaxing. I broke down lately and replaced some of my sports bras and socks (I've had the same ones for 10-12 years)....and let me tell you, definitely worthwhile investment! ;-) I'm no longer fiddling with straps as I run. Now I just need to create a new work-out playlist!
--One of my old coworkers gifted us a lil' old TV before they left. Hub set it up on Friday in the spare room and got a remote for it yesterday. We priced new TVs and agreed on size and type for when the funding is available. My coworkers give me a hard time for not having a TV, but the two of us don't really watch much anyway. Technically we can watch TV on our big projector screen but we just choose not to. We do live stream movies and some sports on the computer and that's mainly what we choose to watch when we do watch anyway.
--We're one small payment away from paying off the car and I've arranged my first student loan payment. By end of summer we'll have the last of our outstanding bills paid off (well except for my student loan which will take years still and the new truck payment which should be mainly paid off next spring). I'm really proud of our money budgeting & management these first 9 months together when I've been unemployed, and our ability to pay off the unexpected bills that we recently discovered. I'm looking forward to putting extra money away for payments/savings because we want to rather than because we have to though!
--I spent yesterday afternoon researching new bed options. We were going to purchase a new bed from West Elm as we love their style and prices; however they never resolved our previous shipping issue and I wasn't impressed with their customer service, so I'll no longer do business with them. Additionally, we've started discussing quality rather than price lately. The husband is a proponent of hardwood and I'm leaning toward an organic mattress option which equates to a lot more money. (Health outcomes based on exposures to flame retardants (PBDEs) which are required by law for mattresses are dismaying.) We're looking at having to double our budget for a new king size bed.....but since we spend 1/3 of our lives in our beds then it's definitely worthwhile.
--Last night was Earth Hour from 8:30-9:30pm when people across the world turn out their lights in support of environmental awareness and commitment. We ended up seeing a movie on post, so I'm not sure that counts as participating but the lights in our house were off and we weren't using lights in the movie. I really like seeing movies on post because they're always shown between the new release time and rental period, so they're at a reduced cost. And it was nice to spend an evening out together!
--Last weekend I'd purchased a few starts: tomato, basil, rosemary, and a jalapeno for the hub. We had a cold spell so I kept them inside, well watered, and in the front window all week. However I just planted them in our flower bed containers yesterday afternoon, so hopefully they'll produce something! I also was surprised that the daffodils I'd planted about a month ago actually came up and now we have happy lil' flowers in the front bed!
--We've given up on the grass re-seeding in the back yard. The dogs have been doing pretty well outside during (still some holes but.....) and they actually enjoy being outside more than not now. They have a new lil pup friend from next door who is in our yard more than in her yard. ;) Luckily, we've had no new blow-outs from the food as we've started transitioning them back to the old food choice.
Then just the little things that bring us joy:
-Doggie smiles, green leaves on the trees, birdies in the morning chirping outside our bedroom windows, laughter together, our favorite local beer is back in season!, cooking together (hub just introduced me to breakfast burritos---AMAZING! and he makes great breakfast on the weekends), Netflix movies and interesting books, etc.
I hope each of you has had a fulfilling week too!

2 comments:
wow- a new tv!! oh how Andrew would be so excited... mostly so he could play video games. sigh. our lives would be sucked into a void of videogames (so no tv yet!).
a friend of ours just got a new organic mattress, spent lots of time researching and finally invested in a mattress made in Montreal, a couple thousand dollars... but they LOVE it. Also, they were having some allergy issues with their old mattress- waking up feeling hungover from the crazy foam pad filled with chemicals they bought!
a mattress is a great investment, we spend 8 hours of our day inhaling deeply whatever we're laying on :)
You've put me to thinking about the organic mattress....I think that I will start browsing and see what I can find. While we won't be in the mattress market for a year or so, it's good to know the options! And it makes so much more sense.
Hope your Easter is wonderful!
Post a Comment