Friday, July 18, 2008

Practicum Experiences

Day one at the practicum: I have SO much to learn! Policy, systems, law, interventions, theory, case management practice, community resources, insurance, science, and then all the basic information on the populations we are serving.

Day two: It's all about relationship and not being judgmental. I'm having to learn to go completely outside of my comfort zone with populations that usually are judged by society. It's about meeting people where they are at and helping them to make the safest decisions possible, even if they may not be the decisions that society looks upon with pleasure. It's about creating rapport with people and recognizing that we're all human-and we deserve to be treated as such.

One highlight from today is that I had two great client interactions, including a client who shared a story about the kindness of strangers. The other client mentioned that he recognized me from the streets of my city-I hope he's one of the people I've passed and smiled at or had a quick conversation with on the street. Just goes to remind me that we meet people in daily interactions without realizing how much our future interactions may be dependent on the initial meeting and treatment.

As much as I fought this placement, I can already tell I am going to learn so much and be a much better practitioner because of it. As much as I hate it, sometimes going outside of our comfort zone really does create the most growth in us.

Some other perks about my placement:

1) It's the greenest government facility I've seen. Lots of large windows for lighting and heating (AC is monitored as well). The lighting is reduced (which drives my eyes crazy but is a much more environmentally friendly option). There are no true trash cans at desks. There is a rectangular bin (looks like the type of container that dirty dishes go into) for recycling and a very small square container that hooks to the side of it for the trash. No plastic liners and the trash one is so small that you have to recycle as much as possible. In the break room, there are 4 bins. One is composting for food stuffs. One is paper recycling. One is plastic/drink recycling. And the final one is trash. In the main work room, recycling for plastic and paper is prevalent and trash cans are sparse.

2) Wellness is largely incorporated. An acupuncturist is available for lunch ear-needling (for stress reduction) sessions, and they are working on getting massage students in as well. Individuals walk on their breaks and during lunch. Nature excursions are available for employees after work and on the weekends. Twice a year large wellness events and outings occur.

3) Cohesion is amazing. Teams are fluid. Individuals work well with and support each other. Employees help out on other teams as needed. Each team promotes the programs of the other. Supervisors are readily available and sit amongst the cubes as well. The building is set up to create employee and client interaction (such as no private restrooms for staff). Because of all this staff retention here is incredible! Just goes to show that when departments invest in their employees, employees invest in their departments.

So just remember....regardless of who you are...it's all about the treatment of others...you get out of the world, what you put into it....

1 comment:

Linda said...

I dropped a camera too. In the middle of the floor in a shopping centre in Melbourne. I still can't understand it, I haven't dropped anything like that before. For awhile we taped up the battery section where it was damaged. Sadly we don't use the camera anymore.