Sunday, July 13, 2008

Better Than I Thought

Last night, in the shower, I realized that in response to my posting from a couple of days ago, I'm living more simply and greener than I sometimes give myself credit. Why did this thought arise? Well a) I was showering with just the light through the window (to save electricity and to cut down on the heat in my apartment, something I do quite frequently). b) I was lathering up with "natural" soaps, shampoos, & conditioner while shaving with a recycled razor. and c) I was thinking about how long I can go without having to replenish any groceries and about how I'm trying a little experiment of going without deodorant. But it dawned on me how natural these types of actions have become in my life. Sure there's room for improvement, but I'm doing a lot that I tend to take for granted.

I spent most of yesterday reading for my classes and going through the piles of accumulated magazines and bulletins that I have received over the last year. While I'm on the "no contact" marketing lists, I do subscribe to one bimonthly magazine, Mother Earth News, and I receive one monthly newspaper from the American Public Health Association due to being a member. Both of which are packed with wonderful information, but neither of which I actually read on a regular basis.

There's something about moving that makes you take stock of all that you own however. I do not have much, mainly by choice, in comparison to other apartment dwellers, but somehow it's possible to accumulate no matter how little you own. Thus I'm in the process of weeding out un-necessary documents (recycling), books (selling), and shoes (donating), and thinking of how best to pack most things.

Waking up yesterday, I realized that I would be best off financially if I can move into a cheaper living situation before September. I have made a few contacts to individuals via craigslist and am hoping for the best. I will need to put in my notice to my apartment manager, but hope I have ample time to find something new. I also should know within the next few days exactly where my practicum placement will be and on which days, decreasing the amount of unknowns currently present in my life. I'm just making sure to keep my head up and my prayers strong.

However this whole process has again reminded me of how difficult it is to be on the lower economic rung of society-a place where more people are headed during this difficult time within our nation. I'm lucky enough to have had the foresight to recognize my situation and begin to take action ahead of time. I also realize that while I'm drastically reigning in (no going out at all, no extra purchases besides necessities), I am making that decision by choice in order to maybe have a bit of breathing space left in the next few months. Many others make this daily decision because they truly have no other choice. I've also been reminded of how difficult it is to buy organic and use natural personal care products, when the funds do not exist to allow these extra perks. So sad that we must exchange our long term health and that of the Earth in order to survive in the short term.

So in comparison, I truly do feel that I'm doing better than I thought, and if anything I'm opening my eyes again and realigning to the better way to live.

1 comment:

Elderwoman said...

When I was your age (half a century ago) I didn't have even half the wisdom that you have about the things that really matter - like living simply and walking lightly on the Earth. So the more blogs like yours I discover, the happier I am. There's hope for the world yet!

Many blessings,

Marian Van Eyk McCain (author of The Lilypad List: 7 steps to the simple life)