It appears I'm on a blogging role! Anyway, as part of my job we write articles for a newsletter that our center puts out each month. I'm sure most of the information here is repetitive for most reading here, but never hurts to have a little reminder...
Also hopefully my lil cousin doesn't mind me sharing this....ahem, sorry cousin....but it's a great example of how important networking itself is when searching for a job. Lil' cousin landed herself a part-time job (which is great as she's about to start grad school!) just by telling the cashier at Hallmark that she bet everyone had to love working there. Cashier then asked her to submit a resume. She interviewed and within a total of two days, she's now employed at a place that seriously should be a great fit for her! Now how awesome is that?
Probably won't work that easily every time, but I always encourage all of our clients to strike up conversations with individuals working at places where they'd like to work. When you're looking for a job, the best thing you can do is let other people know what you're looking for and have materials (a resume, reference sheet, and easily tailor-able cover letter) ready to pass on as needed. Many eyes and ears are always better than one pair. When friends tell me they are looking for work, I'm constantly passing on positions that come across list-servs and that I see just in looking around for myself. Networking is 90% of the job search and it truly often is who you know that lands you that next job. And new doors will open based on contacts you make and your performance in that next position.
Case in point: Twice in my life I have been directly called and asked to apply for positions that are fairly competitive for the area where I was located. Now I am going to share that this was in my hometown which is fairly small and where my particular credentials help more than when I'm living in the city and am just a number among many highly qualified applicants. But in both cases I was called due to my application for a different but related position and because of the fact that the managers at the location had both worked with my mother at some point in time (either as clients of hers or colleagues of a sort). It just goes to show that in the employment world, your impressions upon people and the impressions of the people you associate with do matter for future employment.
One more side note on all this: This is also why I'm not opposed to beginning the job search and application process VERY early in the transition game. At times, starting to get your name out early can be a good thing, because if you're a good candidate your application materials frequently can be kept on hand or passed to other managers for potential openings even if you're not selected or can't start when they need someone. And sometimes it takes a while anyway for the funding and other "ducks" to fall into place for a position, such as when a phone call for an interview arrives months after the initial application was submitted. (Always a good idea to keep copies of the job descriptions you've applied for during your application processes. Also keep in mind that the location/funding source of the position will impact the length of the hiring process. Generally non-profits and private agencies seem to hire quicker than government positions. Your average government position can take about three months from the position opening until start date, and specialized government positions can take much longer than that.) I consider this early application and resume submission process (such as having your contacts pass your resume to supervisors, etc) as its own separate form of networking....
Now for the sake of boring you too much or maybe overwhelming you with information, I'll schedule the actual lil' article I wrote for later! :) I also intend to write some other posts about the job search & resume process to share later down the road. I recognize the current market is a difficult one, but if you are looking for work then keep on searching and keep on believing--the right position will open up.
1 comment:
Great post! So funny, I am thinking of posting some interview & networking tips today (started mulling on that last night). Glad you were able to share my story with everyone! :) Yippie!
There is a LOT to be said for networking. I have another good story on that one too! (in the teaching world that is a key skill to have).
Look forward to your future posts about getting jobs etc. I'm excited to see what you have to say!
Love ya 'big' cuz! hehe
Post a Comment