It's rare for me to watch much TV, but I will tell you that this week I'm making up for it with my refound love of documentaries.
So two more that I watched last night until the wee morning hours of the night.
The Business of Being Born with the trailer:
and Pregnant in America with trailer:
Both are similar although The Business of Being Born is shorter and with a little bit less information, although both use the same experts etc. The creator of Pregnant in America also is slightly Michael Moore-ish, which I usually don't mind but I did have to wonder a bit about him in this film. Both though are great at evaluating the medicalization and business of pregnancy and L&D in the USA.
This morning hub and I also watched two other interesting ones, which both ironically are based on books.
Freakonomics--an interesting look at theory and causality of various concepts.
I'm sure by now it comes as absolutely no surprise that all of these were watched on Netflix Instant, and I also discovered last night that God Grew Tired of Us is available on instant. This morning I woke up to a NYT's article about continued political discord and turmoil in Sudan. After watching the film yesterday, the article definitely impacted me much more today. As we head into the 4th of July, the political turmoil around the world does make my heart ache for other nations, but also leads me feeling so fortunate to live here in the United States. Things aren't perfect here by any means, but I'm free to live how I choose without real fear or concern about being attacked by my own government or by any potential political radicals from either end of the spectrum. It is my hope and prayer that the reality of that freedom and liberty will continue to exist for us and will become the reality for all the world over.
One last quick resource, as I just found a few great blog posts on The Green Phone Booth. The one I want to point you to though is the one that discusses greener lawn care and offers suggestions for safer alternatives for bug and weed control, etc. I definitely will be trying the direct white vinegar on some of our nasty weeds in the mulch and seeing what happens. (If you're an animal/dog lover you might also want to check out: When Good People do Nothing....)
And FYI, don't be surprised if a few more documentaries show up in the next few days. Any suggestions that I should check out for either books or films??
So two more that I watched last night until the wee morning hours of the night.
The Business of Being Born with the trailer:
and Pregnant in America with trailer:
Both are similar although The Business of Being Born is shorter and with a little bit less information, although both use the same experts etc. The creator of Pregnant in America also is slightly Michael Moore-ish, which I usually don't mind but I did have to wonder a bit about him in this film. Both though are great at evaluating the medicalization and business of pregnancy and L&D in the USA.
This morning hub and I also watched two other interesting ones, which both ironically are based on books.
Freakonomics--an interesting look at theory and causality of various concepts.
And a quick trailer for Michael Pollan's The Botany of Desire, which takes a long look at four favorite plants across the world: apples, tulips, marijuana, and potatoes.
I'm sure by now it comes as absolutely no surprise that all of these were watched on Netflix Instant, and I also discovered last night that God Grew Tired of Us is available on instant. This morning I woke up to a NYT's article about continued political discord and turmoil in Sudan. After watching the film yesterday, the article definitely impacted me much more today. As we head into the 4th of July, the political turmoil around the world does make my heart ache for other nations, but also leads me feeling so fortunate to live here in the United States. Things aren't perfect here by any means, but I'm free to live how I choose without real fear or concern about being attacked by my own government or by any potential political radicals from either end of the spectrum. It is my hope and prayer that the reality of that freedom and liberty will continue to exist for us and will become the reality for all the world over.
One last quick resource, as I just found a few great blog posts on The Green Phone Booth. The one I want to point you to though is the one that discusses greener lawn care and offers suggestions for safer alternatives for bug and weed control, etc. I definitely will be trying the direct white vinegar on some of our nasty weeds in the mulch and seeing what happens. (If you're an animal/dog lover you might also want to check out: When Good People do Nothing....)
And FYI, don't be surprised if a few more documentaries show up in the next few days. Any suggestions that I should check out for either books or films??
No comments:
Post a Comment