Wednesday, June 18, 2008

A Trip to the Zoo!

Took a quick trip to the zoo today with a good friend and her daughter, which I had been wanting to do since coming back to Portland. A lot has been added in the 7 years since I was last there, including an entire exhibit on native species to Oregon. How wonderful that they are bringing awareness to so many of the wonderful animals and the issues facing them in our own area!
Black bear.
Salmon.
I also took a shot of a sign in the penguin area:

It says: "This we know. The earth does not belong to man, man belongs to the earth. Whatever befalls the earth befalls the sons of the earth...All things are connected." -Chief Seathl

While I always feel for the poor animals at the zoo, I consistently noticed things such as the sign above to raise awareness of the plight of many of these animals. I always recognize the educational benefit of having these animals at the zoo, but I still can't help but wish they would have had the opportunity to explore their native habitat. At the very least, their presence is helping to teach others about this great ecosystem of which we are a part.

Off to Colorado.....Enjoy the coming week!

No comments: