Friday, April 25, 2008

Organizing for Filter Change!

Dear Readers,

Do you use Brita water filters to purify your tap water or know someone who does? Have you ever wondered what happens to all the used plastic filter cartridges at the end of their lives?

If you lived in Europe, you could take that filter to a drop-off location where it would be sent back to Brita for recycling. Unfortunately, here in North America, we have no options for recycling our Brita cartridges at all. Each plastic cartridge is either landfilled or incinerated, adding to the toxic waste that is already choking our planet.

That's why I have signed on to the Take Back The Filter campaign (http://www.takebackthefilter.org) to urge The Clorox Company, which owns Brita in North America, to redesign their filters and provide a way for us to recycle them, as is done in Europe. I urge you to join me!

Here's how you can help: Sign the Petition (http://www.gopetition.com/online/18444.html)
Send in your used filter cartridges: (http://takebackthefilter.org/2008/04/send-us-your-used-filters.html)
Read more about the issue: (http://www.takebackthefilter.org)
Forward this email to as many people as you know. This is a grassroots movement. If we don't speak up, who will?

Sincerely,
Simply Authentic

3 comments:

Hippie Girl said...

I'll definately sign the petition so that I can some day send back my Brita cartridges for recycling. For now I have the peace of mind that at least I saved a TON of plastic water bottles from the landfills.

Anonymous said...

how about PuR?

Simply Authentic said...

Good point. One at a time. Sometimes by pressuring one, you can in turn create change in the other. Leading by example. But they'll definitely need to get on board too. I think the original thought was that obviously if Brita Europe can create this for the same filters, then Brita here (although owned by Clorox) should be able to as well.